Saturday, August 20, 2022

How Can Prayer Be Wrong?

A recent article I read made me angry about the recent propensity to twist ordinary, well-documented ideas into knots, and then using that knot to make a stupid point. It claimed that Catholics are “weaponizing” the rosary. I was so shocked at this absurd allegation that I had to read the entire article several times, just to make sense of it all.

Now, I no longer consider myself a practicing Catholic (a practicing Christian – definitely), but I remember my Catholic upbringing in great detail. The earliest time I can remember learning the parts of the rosary was in first grade. We learned the Our Father, the Hail Mary, and the Glory Be. We passed our fingers along a set of beads – one prayer for each bead. We knelt on the floor or on a kneeler – and that’s about as physical as it got. I remember being tired of kneeling; I remember losing my place on the beads. I remember forgetting which Mystery I was supposed to be contemplating (there are four sets of five Mysteries – all on them focused on the coming of Christ, His ministry, or His death and resurrection).

But never do I remember being taught to “fight progress” with my set of rosary beads.

Fight the Devil – yes.

Fight my boredom – yes.

Fight dozing off – yes, definitely!

But what is this latest nonsense? How can prayer (even prayer to a saint) matter to a world that actively ignores God’s Commandments, and even proclaims that He doesn’t exist? (And if He doesn’t exist, why pay attention to His Son’s mother?)

***

I will offer this insight:

Satan must be getting scared.

Satan must not like the fact that every time a Catholic prays the Hail Mary, he or she utters the word “Jesus.”

Satan cannot attack the Our Father, so he attacks the next Catholic prayer down the list.

Take your pick of any or all three, but did you notice who’s behind all this nonsense? The being whose time dominating this planet is very short – so short, he’s begun ambushing those people who are down on their knees fighting him!

No comments:

Post a Comment